Leftovers, although, do not final endlessly, and it is vital to apply good meals security habits to stop the unfold of foodborne sicknesses. As a normal guideline, the U.S. Division of Well being & Human Providers recommends consuming or freezing turkey and different leftovers inside three to 4 days.
Go to FoodSafety.gov for a listing of much more straightforward leftover turkey recipes as well as to those listed beneath.
Cooked turkey mixed with your favourite frozen veggies means you may throw this stir-fry collectively rapidly for a wholesome weekday dinner.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 skinny slices of ginger root (minced)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled and minced)
- 16 ounces turkey (cooked, reduce into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 2/3 packages greens, contemporary or frozen (10 ounce package deal, chopped)
- water (non-obligatory)
- Non-obligatory gravy:
- 11 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 cup hen inventory
- Warmth fry pan. Add oil and warmth on excessive temperature.
- Add ginger, garlic, turkey and greens. Stir-fry about 1 minute to coat with oil.
- Regulate warmth to stop scorching. Add sugar. If greens are tender, cease cooking right now.
- If the greens are agency, add 1-2 tablespoons of water, cowl and cook dinner for two minutes or till tender.
- Serve directly, or if you want to add a gravy:
- Combine the gravy components nicely, pour over greens and turkey, cook dinner for 30 seconds.
- Refrigerate leftovers inside 2 hours.
Supply: Oregon State College Cooperative Extension Service, Pictorial Recipes
SEE ALSO: How lengthy does leftover turkey final? Your information to leftover holiday meals security
Make a hearty soup by including lean, chopped turkey roast. You may additionally serve turkey roasts with steamed greens or facet salad and potatoes or rice to make a whole meal.
- 5 ounces thawed turkey roast (about 1 cup, chopped)
- 4 celery stalks (chopped)
- 4 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 hen bouillon dice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup rice (raw)
- 1 can low-sodium inexperienced beans (drained, about 15 ounces)
- In a big pot over excessive warmth, add the turkey roast, celery, carrots, onion, bouillon dice, black pepper, and 4 cups of water. Carry to a boil, cut back the warmth, and cook dinner over low warmth for half-hour.
- Cook dinner rice in accordance to package deal instructions.
- Add cooked rice and inexperienced beans into the soup and stir. Cook dinner for five extra minutes.
Supply: Recipe tailored from Commodity Supplemental Meals Program Cookbook
This turkey curry soup is a enjoyable and flavorful dish to make with turkey dinner leftovers. You should use your leftover cranberry sauce to garnish the soup. A spoonful of cranberry sauce or chutney provides a cooling candy, tangy taste to steadiness the spicy curry.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups low-sodium hen broth
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- 3 small pink potatoes (diced)
- 3 cups cooked turkey (pores and skin eliminated, diced)
- Non-obligatory garnish: cranberry sauce
- Warmth the olive oil and butter in a big pot over medium warmth. Add the onion and celery and cook dinner for about 7 minutes, stirring sometimes.
- Stir in flour, curry powder, and cinnamon and cook dinner for 2-3 minutes, stirring continually.
- Pour in hen broth and scrape up any brown bits on the backside of the pan.
- Carry to a simmer. Then add carrots, spinach, potatoes, and turkey.
- Carry to a boil. Then cut back the warmth to low.
- Simmer (coated) for about half-hour, stirring sometimes.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with a spoonful of cranberry sauce.
Supply: USDA Middle for Diet Coverage and Promotion
This story was initially printed in November 2018.